Choosing a method to achieve a fuller head of hair is a big decision. If you plan to undergo hair regeneration treatment, several avenues are available. In the past, surgical procedures such as hair transplants were the only way to restore hair. Modern-day advancements in medical technology have opened many other pathways. PRP injections are one such example of modern progress.
What Is PRP?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a non-surgical procedure to regenerate the scalp and encourage new hair growth. Commonly used to treat soft-tissue injuries and arthritis, PRP injections are a popular way to regrow hair without undergoing a hair transplant.
The process is relatively simple. Blood, usually drawn from the patient’s arm, is placed in a centrifuge where it spins until the components are separated. This action pulls the platelet-rich plasma from the blood. The high count of platelets in this plasma makes it ideal for PRP treatments. These platelets signal the body to remove old cells and replace them with new, regenerative cells.
The injections are given in the scalp and concentrated on areas where hair restoration is most necessary. PRP is a relatively painless and short procedure; however, it does include sending a patient home with strict instructions for post-treatment care and a list of what should and should not be a part of your daily routine during this time.
Post-Treatment Care Instructions: Things To Avoid After PRP
- Avoid strenuous physical activity for a day or two post-treatment.
- A patient should not take aspirin, ibuprofen, or other NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for at least three days, preferably seven days.
- Do not apply ice or heat to the injection sites. A cold compress may be applied if necessary to reduce swelling.
- Refrain from pressing, rubbing, or scratching your scalp for at least 8 hours after treatment.
- Do not use hair products for 6 hours after your injections.
- You should wait 24 hours before washing your hair after PRP treatments. Use gentle water pressure and a mild, pH-balanced cleanser for three days.
- Avoid tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine for at least three days post-injections.
- Protect your scalp from direct sun until at least two days have passed.
- Drink plenty of water for at least seven days after treatment.
- Do not take supplements that include blood thinning elements, such as fish oil and vitamin E, for one week.
The best way to care for your body after treatment is to follow your surgeon’s specific instructions. Adhering to this list will ensure the best results from your treatment.
PRP in Raleigh is the place to explore your options for hair restoration. Dr. Sumeet Jindal will assist you in choosing the best path to your goal of a restored, youthful appearance.